When the Advanced Manufacturing and the Engineering show landed at Birmingham’s NEC, the spottydog team were sent on a research mission – to find out how the fourth industrial revolution would be shaping the future of manufacturing.
While sniffing out opportunities and inspiration for our aerospace, motorsport, medical and rail clients, we spotted six striking showcases that make our Best in Show shortlist!
1. Probing precision measurement with Renishaw
2. In tune with electronics subcontractor DVR Ltd
3. Seeing infra-red with Heraeus Noblelight
4. Falling for gravity die casting with Harrison Castings
5. Hitting the mark with precision engineers WLR
6. Model display by 3D printers Creat3D (see the video below)
Luckily, we didn’t have to spend the whole show on our feet, we managed to grab a seat at a talk by The Manufacturers’ Organisation EEF. They delivered a fascinating talk about how manufacturing is undergoing the fourth industrial revolution, utilising data analytics to automation and robotics.
Which reminds me – this was also the day we got to shake hands with a robot on the Schunk stand. It was a lot more difficult than it looked, but we soon got into the swing of it. Welcome to the future!